Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Oh please, oh please pass this bill!

An MPP in Toronto has tabled a private member's bill which would establish minimum distances for cars passing bikes in Ontario! It would require cars going less than 50 km/h to leave about three feet between them and a cyclist, with the minimum distance getting greater the faster the car is moving. Five feet, if they're going faster than 80 km/h.

I know, it's difficult to enforce this kind of thing, and it would be much more effective if that law were part of the driving test and driver education programs... but it's a start. We've had five cyclists die in central Canada this last weekend, one here in Ottawa, and I know I had a couple of moments on my way to work today where that crossed my mind. Are the drivers looking? I thought as I headed into the intersection between Alta Vista and Riverside. Will they see me? Is someone trying to open their Tim Hortons coffee while they drive going to sideswipe me? Normally I don't worry. But when there's a rash of deaths like this I get nervous again.

But, when there's a rash of deaths like this, politicians also start talking more about safety. It's an ill wind, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment