I've just been watching the periphery of this, but this is what I think has been happening in New York. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.
1. City workers remove a bike lane in Williamsburg after complaints from the Hasidic community living in the area (They object to seeing women in bike shorts.)
2. Get that? The city sandblasts the bike lane off the street because a religious group complains. About what female cyclists are wearing.
3. A group of hipsters put the bike lane back in the middle of the night. (Wicked video, too.)
4. They get stopped by the Shomrim Patrol, a neighbourhood watch group, and eventually two of the activists are arrested.
5. The street is sandblasted clean again.
6. Now Mayor Bloomberg is in Copenhagen, and being confronted by bike activists from Brooklyn about this at the climate change conference.
7. And the activists are having a mock New-Orleans-style funeral for the bike lanes tomorrow.
I say again. What the... ? New York. Removed the bike lane. Because of women in shorts.